Xi Announces Plans to Trim Size of Armed Forces
(Beijing) – President Xi Jinping announced during a major military parade on September 3 that China will cut the size of its armed forces by 300,000 personnel.
The reduction will leave the People's Liberation Army with around 2 million personnel and mostly be completed by the end of 2017, the Ministry of National Defense said.
"The downsizing is aimed at optimizing the military structure, making the armed forces more efficient," ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said at a press conference after the parade to commemorate the end of World War II. "It will be carried out in old and outdated units, administrative departments and non-combat troops."
- 1Grisly Murder Sheds Light on Gangs Who Kill Workers for Compensation
- 2China May Introduce First Rule on Overseas Investment by Year-End
- 3Henan Considers Credit Default Swaps as Debts Mount
- 4Can China’s ‘Leather Capital’ Repay Its Environmental Debts?
- 5China Group in Front for Major New York Subway Contract