Xi Announces Plans to Trim Size of Armed Forces
(Beijing) – President Xi Jinping announced during a major military parade on September 3 that China will cut the size of its armed forces by 300,000 personnel.
The reduction will leave the People's Liberation Army with around 2 million personnel and mostly be completed by the end of 2017, the Ministry of National Defense said.
"The downsizing is aimed at optimizing the military structure, making the armed forces more efficient," ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said at a press conference after the parade to commemorate the end of World War II. "It will be carried out in old and outdated units, administrative departments and non-combat troops."
- 1Video of Brawling Deliverymen Sets Chinese Internet Abuzz
- 2PBOC to Cut Reserve Requirement for Qualifying Banks
- 3Beijing Lowers This Year’s Goal for Cutting Excess Coal Production
- 4China Solar Exports Drop 10% in 2016 Amid Anti-Dumping Disputes
- 5China Railway Corp. Struggles to Adapt in Era of Air Travel