Closer Look: Clearinghouse needed to tame payment risk
(Beijing) - Alibaba Group chairman Jack Ma once said he would deliver to the state his popular third-party payment service Alipay whenever it was needed. It seems that the time is coming, although what Alipay needs to hand over is only the part of the business that shouldn’t belong to it anyway.
Alipay and other online payment providers are facing a major reshuffle as the central bank is mulling building a new clearinghouse for all online transactions, part of the regulator’s efforts to tame internet financial risks.
The executive editor of Caixin Weekly, editorial board member of Caixin Media.
- 1Wukong Becomes China’s First Bike-Share Failure
- 2Tencent Unveils Plan to Create Electronic Sports Gaming Empire
- 3China Asks Banks to Assess Credit Risks Linked to Firms Active in Overseas Deals
- 4Chinese Regulators Tighten Grip on Disguised Loans
- 5China’s Aier Eye Hospital Group Has Sights on Big U.S. Presence