Central Bank's Move to Push Single-Logo Cards Boosts UnionPay
(Beijing) — The People's Bank of China (PBOC) has stepped into the turf war between China UnionPay, the country's only authorized bank-card payment system, and foreign rivals such as Visa and MasterCard, as the central bank took action that boosts UnionPay's dominance in its market.
The PBOC is discouraging the issuance of dual-logo bank cards, the result of which will be that UnionPay now will clear both domestic and overseas payments made through most Chinese credit cards. The PBOC is also cracking down on attempts by international card companies to indirectly offer yuan clearance.
- 1Hong Kong Hedge Fund Files $88 Million Lawsuit Against Elusive Businessman Guo Wengui
- 2Beijing Real-Estate Slump Deepens
- 3China Removes Steel Makers From ‘Qualified’ List for First Time
- 4Retraction of Cancer Papers Highlights Corruption in Chinese Academia
- 5Tianjin Rolls Out Draft Regulations on Shared Bikes