Popular Phone Games Contribute to Growing App Store
(Beijing) — Mobile app sales surged on Apple’s online App Store in 2016, with China experiencing record annual growth of 90%, largely due to gaming.
The 14 highest-grossing apps in China were all smartphone games, eight of which are developed by tech giant Tencent Holdings Ltd, according to App Annie, which provides app data and research.
Tencent’s revenue from gaming went up by 27% in the third quarter from a year earlier to 18 billion yuan ($2.6 billion), contributing 45% to overall earnings. Most of the gains were the result of the popularity of smartphone games, the company said in a statement.
- 1Hong Kong Hedge Fund Files $88 Million Lawsuit Against Elusive Businessman Guo Wengui
- 2Beijing Real-Estate Slump Deepens
- 3China Removes Steel Makers From ‘Qualified’ List for First Time
- 4Retraction of Cancer Papers Highlights Corruption in Chinese Academia
- 5Tianjin Rolls Out Draft Regulations on Shared Bikes