Cities’ Pollution Violations Have Inspectors Fuming
(Beijing) — Environmental inspectors from the central government have slammed local authorities in Beijing, Shanghai and Chongqing for failing to meet pollution reduction targets and other green commitments.
Three high-level teams sent by the Communist Party, which included officials from its anti-corruption watchdog, its personnel department and the Ministry of Environmental Protection, toured the three mega cities in November and December. They found that local authorities in all three areas had failed to meet conservation goals, and that lax government oversight had led to widespread violations of environmental protection laws.
- 1China Unicom Says It Uncovered Massive Revenue Falsification in Shaanxi Unit
- 2Goodbye, Dali: Hip Tourist Spot Turns Into Ghost Town as Sewage Scare Prompts Shutdown
- 3Beijing Holds Its Breath as Ozone Levels Surge
- 4China Brands Dial Up More Than Half of India Smartphone Market
- 5 Opinion: One Belt, One Road: China’s 21st Century Marshall Plan?