Cities’ Pollution Violations Have Inspectors Fuming
(Beijing) — Environmental inspectors from the central government have slammed local authorities in Beijing, Shanghai and Chongqing for failing to meet pollution reduction targets and other green commitments.
Three high-level teams sent by the Communist Party, which included officials from its anti-corruption watchdog, its personnel department and the Ministry of Environmental Protection, toured the three mega cities in November and December. They found that local authorities in all three areas had failed to meet conservation goals, and that lax government oversight had led to widespread violations of environmental protection laws.
- 1China Faces Daunting Challenges as Senior Care Comes of Age
- 2Cabinet Outlines Curbs on ‘Irrational’ Outbound Investment
- 3Doing Business in China: Joint Ventures Show Signs of Aging, but Still Have Some Life
- 4Schools for Migrant Children Vanishing as Beijing Combats Population Growth
- 5Is Sci-Fi the Next Big Chinese Cultural Export After Kung Fu?