WeChat Widens Crackdown on Celebrity Gossip
(Beijing) — WeChat — China’s most popular social networking app, on which millions of original articles are created, read and shared daily — has recently shut down dozens of widely followed accounts in accordance with the demands of internet regulators.
Tencent Holdings Ltd., the internet giant that operates WeChat, followed orders from the Guangdong branch of the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) and closed 32 WeChat subscription accounts beginning Thursday. Among the accounts closed was that of Harper’s Bazaar, and the celebrity gossip weekly owned by Southern Metropolis, one of the nation’s largest media groups.
- 1Wukong Becomes China’s First Bike-Share Failure
- 2Tencent Unveils Plan to Create Electronic Sports Gaming Empire
- 3Viewers Wince as Beloved Japanese TV Drama Gets Tasteless Remake in China
- 4The Silver Way: How Mexican Silver Coins Paved a 16th-Century Sea Route to China
- 522-Year-Old Man Identified as Suspect in Kindergarten Explosion