Xi Announces Plans to Trim Size of Armed Forces
(Beijing) – President Xi Jinping announced during a major military parade on September 3 that China will cut the size of its armed forces by 300,000 personnel.
The reduction will leave the People's Liberation Army with around 2 million personnel and mostly be completed by the end of 2017, the Ministry of National Defense said.
"The downsizing is aimed at optimizing the military structure, making the armed forces more efficient," ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said at a press conference after the parade to commemorate the end of World War II. "It will be carried out in old and outdated units, administrative departments and non-combat troops."
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas