China Manufacturing Weakening, PMI Data Show
(Beijing) – China's manufacturing activity continued to weaken in September, a trend highlighted by the sharpest contraction in 78 months for the preliminary Caixin China Purchasing Managers' Index.
The preliminary index for September fell to 47 from the sector's final PMI reading for August of 47.3. Any reading above 50 points to business growth, while anything below 50 signifies contraction.
Figures for components of the index indicate that manufacturing output also decreased in September at the fastest rate seen in 78 months. New orders fell more sharply month-on-month in September than between July and August, and manufacturers continued to shed workers. Both input and output prices continued falling, indicating a lack of momentum for inflation.
"The principle reason for the weakening of manufacturing is tied to previous changes in factors related to external demand and prices," said Dr. He Fan, chief economist and director of research at Caixin Insight Group, a financial data and analysis platform that complements Caixin Media's news services.
"Fiscal expenditures surged in August, pointing to stronger government efforts on the fiscal policy front," he said. "Patience may be needed for policies designed to promote stabilization to demonstrate their effectiveness."
The final PMI for September will be released on October 1.
- 1Cover Story: How Bad Is China’s Manufacturing Exodus?
- 2CATL Unveils Battery That Power a Car Up to 1,000 Kilometers on One Charge
- 3Roundup: Where Analysts Think China’s Economy Is Going This Year
- 4Two Killed in Nio Test Car That Fell From Third Floor
- 5Four Things to Know About Chinese Policy Banks’ Extra $120 Billion for Infrastructure
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas