UnionPay, Third-Party Clearinghouse Clash in China’s Race to Go Cashless
The boundary between China’s two cashless-payment clearing systems is not as well-defined as it seems.
When a shopper pays with a bank card, the transaction is cleared directly through China UnionPay, which settles the payment between the merchant and the card-issuing bank.
But when the shopper pays through a nonbank platform — a so-called third-party payment service provider such as Alipay or WeChat Pay — the transaction will be cleared through a central bank-administered clearinghouse, which settles the payment between the merchant and the platform to which the shopper’s commercial bank account is linked.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas