New Foreign Affairs Commission Sets Tone for China’s Diplomacy
China convened the first meeting Tuesday of the newly inaugurated Central Foreign Affairs Commission under the ruling Communist Party’s Central Committee, shedding light on the top policymaking body for the country’s diplomacy.
President Xi Jinping, who is also the party’s general secretary, heads the Foreign Affairs Commission, according to the official Xinhua News Agency. Premier Li Keqiang is the commission’s deputy head while Wang Qishan, the party’s former anti-corruption chief, is also a member of the committee, Xinhua reported.
Other heavyweight attendees include Politburo Standing Committee members Wang Huning and Han Zheng, though the report didn’t say whether they were members of the new commission.
The inaugural meeting of the Foreign Affairs Commission coincided with trade negotiations led by Vice Premier Liu He with U.S. officials this week in Washington seeking to resolve trade tensions between the two nations.
At the Tuesday meeting, Xi called for enhancing the centralized and unified leadership of the party over foreign affairs and highlighted the commission’s role in leading China’s diplomacy, according to Xinhua.
The Central Foreign Affairs Commission is a top decision-making and coordination body under the party’s Central Committee. It was upgraded from the Central Leading Group on Foreign Affairs in March in an overhaul of party and state institutions.
Xi highlighted uncertainties and challenges facing China in external affairs and said China should carefully weather the changing international environment and be prepared to tackle the challenges, Xinhua reported.
The president also pledged to further promote his signature Belt and Road Initiative, which involves $1.5 trillion in overseas infrastructure projects, as “an important platform” to push forward international cooperation and enhance China’s involvement in the global community, Xinhua reported.
Contact reporter Han Wei (email@example.com)
Feb 15 11:02
Feb 14 18:07
Feb 14 13:36
Feb 14 10:42
Feb 13 13:34
Feb 13 09:49
Feb 12 17:51
Feb 12 14:07
Feb 12 13:11
Feb 11 17:52
Feb 11 16:08
Feb 11 14:01
Feb 11 13:13
Feb 10 17:35
- 1Coronavirus Latest (Feb. 1 - 15): Cases Surge Past 66,500 as France Reports First Death
- 2Coronavirus Study Finds Incubation Period of Up to 24 Days
- 3In Depth: ICU Doctors Bear the Brunt as Coronavirus Causes Rapid Deterioration
- 4Intensive Care Doctor Tells of a Hospital Teetering on Collapse in Wuhan
- 5Even With Massive Funding, Coronavirus Vaccine Isn’t Coming Soon
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas