The Best Reads of the Week From Caixin
The yuan extended its losing streak against the dollar on Wednesday, hitting a fresh six-month low as concerns over a looming Sino-U.S. trade war and expectations of further monetary easing by China’s central bank weighed on investor sentiment.
Downside risks to China’s economic growth in the second half of this year are increasing due to deepening trade friction with the U.S. and slowing domestic demand, a senior policy adviser has warned, urging Chinese authorities to prepare for the worst.
The sunny summer for China’s solar industry is seemingly coming to an end after regulators abruptly put the brakes on subsidies that have fueled the industry’s boom for nearly a decade while also raising concerns of a glut.
The Chinese government plans to impose restrictions on the pay of film and television stars as it grapples with a tax-evasion scandal that has rocked the entertainment industry and ensnared top actress Fan Bingbing.
After fighting for a year to have her claims of sexual assault taken seriously, 19-year-old Li Yiyi was ready to give up. On June 20, she climbed to the eighth floor of a department store in her hometown, in Northwest China’s Gansu province. She sat on the ledge, staring down at the ground or at her phone. As police and firefighters arrived in droves, so too did onlookers. Several began filming her. Some even yelled for her to jump to her death. So she did.
These are the six stories that I don’t want you to miss from last week. Please share your comments on the In Focus section and on our other coverage at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And when you’re done perusing these must-read stories, check out Caixin’s weekly digital magazine.
- 1Update: China Demands Answers for Swedish Police’s ‘Brutal’ Treatment of Tourists
- 2China Could Ban Exports of Products Crucial to U.S. Manufacturers, Former Finance Minister Says
- 3 State-Owned Firms to Build $6.5 Billion Petrochemical Refinery in Alberta
- 4Bad Bank’s New Boss Begins by Erasing Fallen Predecessor’s Legacy
- 5Merck Slashes Key Cancer Drug Price for China
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas