Head of Foreign Exchange Watchdog Vows to Strengthen Fight Against Capital Flight
(Beijing) — China this year will intensify its crackdown on unlawful transfers of assets offshore, the country’s top foreign exchange official said. However, he downplayed concerns over full-blown capital controls.
Chinese authorities in recent months have taken a series of steps to curb capital outflows, which were fueled as investors sought greater returns on dollar assets as the greenback strengthened and pessimism about China’s growth increased. Such measures have spooked investors.
- 1Hong Kong Hedge Fund Files $88 Million Lawsuit Against Elusive Businessman Guo Wengui
- 2Beijing Real-Estate Slump Deepens
- 3China Removes Steel Makers From ‘Qualified’ List for First Time
- 4Retraction of Cancer Papers Highlights Corruption in Chinese Academia
- 5Tianjin Rolls Out Draft Regulations on Shared Bikes