Meituan-Dianping Feasts on $4 Billion in New Cash
Online group-buying and restaurant-services operator Meituan-Dianping said Thursday it has raised a fresh $4 billion in funding, as U.S. travel services giant Priceline joined an A-list of investors who valued the company at $30 billion.
Other investors in the latest funding round — one of the biggest of all time for a Chinese high-tech firm — included Sequoia Capital, Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC Private Ltd., Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Trustbridge Partners, Meituan-Dianping said in a statement.
“With the completion of this funding round, Meituan-Dianping has entered a completely new phase,” said CEO Wang Xing. “We have a mission of letting people ‘eat better and live better,’ and now Meituan-Dianping will take on even more social responsibilities.”
As part of its new involvement with the Chinese company, the Priceline Group Inc. has signed a strategic partnership to work with Meituan-Dianping’s own travel service. Priceline is already an investor in Ctrip.com International Ltd., China’s leading online travel services provider.
Meituan-Dianping was formed two years ago through the merger of China’s leading group-buying and restaurant-rating sites. Reports at the time said the company was worth about $15 billion. Since then it has also gone into the online takeout sector, where its main competitor is the leader formed by the recent merger of Ele.me and the takeout service operated by Baidu Inc.
Earlier this year, Meituan-Dianping said it was operating on a break-even basis, as it shot down rumors that it was having trouble raising cash. At that time the company said it currently had more than $3 billion, and that it hadn’t launched a new fund-raising round.
The company has been rumored to be pursuing an IPO in the past, but its weak profits were said to be an obstacle to attracting interesting from ordinary stock buyers.
Contact reporter Yang Ge (email@example.com)
Apr 07 15:36
Apr 07 12:22
Apr 07 10:21
Apr 03 18:41
Apr 03 16:11
Apr 03 13:37
Apr 03 10:13
Apr 02 18:19
Apr 02 15:27
Apr 02 14:02
Apr 02 13:46
Apr 02 09:22
Apr 01 16:00
Apr 01 15:51
Apr 01 13:31
- 1China’s Asymptomatic Coronavirus Case Numbers Don’t Tell the Whole Story
- 2Huawei and ZTE Win Contracts to Build 200,000 5G Base Stations
- 3Wuhan’s Covid-19 Crisis Is Easing. Its Mental Health Issues Are Just Beginning
- 4Germany to Buy Avigan From Japan to Fight Coronavirus
- 5In Luckin Debacle, Who’s to Blame for Missing Massive Fraud?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas