China Power Giant Buys Wind Parks in Greece
China’s state-owned coal and power giant Shenhua Group is entering the Greek green-energy market, investing in several wind farms developed by a major local player.
Shenhua bought 75% of the shares of four wind parks developed by Greek investment firm Copelouzos Group. The parks are either in operation or under construction, Copelouzos said in a statement.
Shenhua, which signed the agreement through its renewable-energy resources subsidiary Shenhua Renewable Co. Ltd., is the first Chinese company to invest in wind power in Greece.
The amount of the investment wasn’t disclosed. But the two sides vowed to collaborate on a number of investments in green energy and on upgrades to power plants, at a total estimated value of 3 billion euros ($3.5 billion).
Shenhua also plans to acquire some shares in solar firm PPC Solar Solutions, co-founded by Copelouzos and Greece’s Public Power Corp.
The investment in the wind-power parks marks the Chinese company’s first solid project in Greece since it inked partnership with Copelouzos in May. The Greek company owns the country’s third-largest wind-power firm, Elica Group.
Since 2016, Chinese companies have made several acquisitions in Greece. China COSCO Shipping Corp. Ltd. purchased 67% shares in Piraeus port for 700 million euros and State Grid Corp. of China acquired a 24% stake in Greece's power-grid operator, ADMIE, for 330 million euros.
Contact reporter Coco Feng (email@example.com)
- 1Update: China Demands Answers for Swedish Police’s ‘Brutal’ Treatment of Tourists
- 2China Could Ban Exports of Products Crucial to U.S. Manufacturers, Former Finance Minister Says
- 3 State-Owned Firms to Build $6.5 Billion Petrochemical Refinery in Alberta
- 4Bad Bank’s New Boss Begins by Erasing Fallen Predecessor’s Legacy
- 5Merck Slashes Key Cancer Drug Price for China
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas