Who are China's ‘Watermelon Eaters?’
Have Chinese people turned into a bunch of passive “watermelon eating spectators?” Liu Zhenyun, one of China’s foremost contemporary writers, is tackling the dicey question of apathy in his new novel after a five-year hiatus. And the book is selling like hotcakes.
The title of Liu’s book “The Era of Watermelon Eaters,” plays on a popular internet meme used when people are indifferent to what’s happening around them. It was coined last year after a bystander who witnessed a fatal traffic accident told a reporter, “I know nothing, I was eating a watermelon.”
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas