Cash-Stuffed Red Envelopes Succumb Further to Digital Age
Over the last few years, a centuries-old tradition during the Lunar New Year — children receiving red envelopes stuffed with cash from older relatives — has been brought increasingly online by a pair of internet giants seeking to promote digital payments.
This year, ahead of the weeklong holiday that begins next week, a third competitor, bank-card services provider China UnionPay, is hoping to break the duopoly of Tencent Holdings Ltd. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas