China’s Boyu Capital Leads $125 Million Round for Image Retail Analytics Company Trax
(CTech) — Singapore-headquartered retail analytics company Trax Image Recognition has raised $125 million, the company announced Friday, bringing its total funding to $235 million to date.
The round was led by China-focused equity investment firm Boyu Capital Consultancy Co. Ltd., with the participation of British publishing and TV production company DC Thomson. Existing Trax shareholders include Warburg Pincus, its largest shareholder, and South Africa-headquartered asset management company Investec. According to the announcement, Trax plans to focus on expansion in China, where it already has “a strong market presence.”
The current investment was made according to a valuation of close to $1 billion, Trax co-founder and CEO Joel Bar-El told Bloomberg on Monday. In 2016 Calcalist reported, Trax considered an initial public offering on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange according to a company valuation of a little over $200 million, but backtracked.
Trax enables retailers to keep track of their stock using image recognition and computer vision analytic tools. The company was founded in 2010 by Israel-born Bar-El and Dror Feldheim, the company’s chief commercial officer, and has a research and development center in Tel Aviv. The company operates in over 50 countries, with clients including some of Coca-Cola Co.’s anchor bottlers and Henkel AG & Co.
In a statement, Bar-El said that Trax will use the funding for research and development, for global expansion, and to explore the possibility of setting up an engineering center in China. Some of the capital will also go toward buying out some early investors’ shares.
Boyu Capital’s “experience and insights into the scale and pace of China’s retail technology environment will be incredibly valuable" to Trax, said Bar-El in a statement.
This article was originally published in CTech.
Aug 16 20:48
Aug 16 18:19
Aug 16 16:10
Aug 16 15:19
Aug 16 15:07
Aug 16 15:35
Aug 16 12:23
Aug 16 10:44
Aug 16 03:04
Aug 16 03:39
Aug 16 02:05
Aug 16 02:36
Aug 15 15:10
- 1Praise for JD and Huya, Less Excitement for Tencent Music and DouYu as ‘Team Tencent’ Reports
- 2Casino Giant Galaxy Entertainment’s H1 Profit Drops 7% as High-Rollers Stay Away
- 3TCL to Unveil Own Smart Screen This Week, Sources Say
- 4CX Daily: Hong Kong Cuts GDP Growth Forecast, Announces Stimulus Amid Unrest
- 5Does China Care About Climate Change?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas