Chart of the Day: Many Apps Are Collecting Way More Information Than They Should
A government-backed consumer rights watchdog has uncovered dozens of apps which it says are improperly collecting or misusing users’ personal information.
The report, published (link in Chinese) last Wednesday, concluded that 59 of 100 apps it scrutinized were collecting users’ location data unnecessarily without saying why. Twenty-eight accessed users’ contact lists in a way that violated the rules.
The apps violated the Personal Information Security Specification (link in Chinese), a rule on the collection and use of personal data that took effect in May.
Forty-two of the apps were found to be secretly sharing user data with third parties.
Graphic: Gao Baiyu/Caixin
The investigation, conducted in early September, examined apps across ten categories including video streaming, online shopping, payments, personal finance and news.
It found beauty app Meitu Xiuxiu and Migu Video — an online video site run by the country's largest telecommunications network operator China Mobile — both collect information unnecessary for the services they provide. Meitu collects users’ bank details and biometric information, while Migu collects their location, phone number, email and bank details.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (email@example.com)
Nov 13 23:24
Nov 13 20:13
Nov 13 19:50
Nov 13 18:27
Nov 13 17:05
Nov 13 17:27
Nov 13 16:05
Nov 13 14:09
Nov 13 13:42
Nov 13 12:06
Nov 13 11:15
Nov 13 10:18
Nov 13 06:12
Nov 13 03:53
Nov 12 17:25
- 1China’s Manufacturing Sector Expands at Fastest Pace in Nearly Three Years, Caixin PMI Shows
- 2China Will Create ‘Space Economic Zone’ by Midcentury: Report
- 3Swiss Telecom CEO Explains Why He’s Sticking With Huawei
- 4China Revamps Undergraduate Studies, Tapping Controversial Talent Program
- 5Alibaba’s Sales Surge 40% and Profit Triples
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas