Chart of the Day: Many Apps Are Collecting Way More Information Than They Should
A government-backed consumer rights watchdog has uncovered dozens of apps which it says are improperly collecting or misusing users’ personal information.
The report, published (link in Chinese) last Wednesday, concluded that 59 of 100 apps it scrutinized were collecting users’ location data unnecessarily without saying why. Twenty-eight accessed users’ contact lists in a way that violated the rules.
The apps violated the Personal Information Security Specification (link in Chinese), a rule on the collection and use of personal data that took effect in May.
Forty-two of the apps were found to be secretly sharing user data with third parties.
Graphic: Gao Baiyu/Caixin
The investigation, conducted in early September, examined apps across ten categories including video streaming, online shopping, payments, personal finance and news.
It found beauty app Meitu Xiuxiu and Migu Video — an online video site run by the country's largest telecommunications network operator China Mobile — both collect information unnecessary for the services they provide. Meitu collects users’ bank details and biometric information, while Migu collects their location, phone number, email and bank details.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (email@example.com)
Jun 03 18:07
Jun 03 16:48
Jun 03 13:17
Jun 03 12:25
Jun 03 06:45
Jun 02 16:29
Jun 02 14:45
Jun 02 12:04
Jun 02 05:38
Jun 02 05:35
Jun 01 17:41
Jun 01 12:22
May 29 18:23
May 29 18:04
May 29 12:40
- 1In Depth: Huawei’s Chip Dreams in Crosshairs of Latest U.S. Assault
- 2Premier Sends ‘Powerful’ Signal for China to Join Asia-Pacific’s Largest Trade Pact
- 3Despite Stalling Tactics, Luckin Likely to Get Thrown Off Wall Street: Experts
- 4China Won’t Ease Curbs on International Flights as Fast as Expected
- 5Luckin Founder to Cash Out of Rental Car Unit
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas