Tesla to Start Production in China Next Year, Shanghai Says
(Bloomberg) — Tesla Inc. plans to start partial production in China in the second half of next year, the city of Shanghai said.
The mayor of the city, Ying Yong, visited the Pudong New Area project site and encouraged Tesla to accelerate construction, according to a statement on Shanghai’s official WeChat account Thursday. The plant, dubbed Gigafactory 3, will be the biggest ever foreign-invested manufacturing project in Shanghai. A Tesla representative didn’t have an immediate comment.
The Palo Alto, California-based company has secured more than 200 acres of land for the China factory, which is expected to cost several billion dollars to build. Tesla’s first overseas plant will help the electric-car maker avoid some of the risks involved with importing vehicles, such as higher tariffs caused by the trade tensions between China and the U.S.
The tariffs have had an impact on Tesla’s sales in China, the company said when reporting third-quarter earnings in October.
CEO Elon Musk said at the time that Tesla was striving to start production of its Model 3 vehicle in China next year. The company has also started to advertise for employees for the new facility.
Contact editor Yang Ge (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jun 19 18:46
Jun 19 18:30
Jun 19 17:02
Jun 19 12:02
Jun 19 12:27
Jun 19 11:55
Jun 19 09:27
Jun 19 09:40
Jun 19 03:43
Jun 18 20:16
Jun 18 19:27
Jun 18 16:16
Jun 18 16:50
- 1China Launches EV Safety Inspection After Tesla and Nio Fires
- 2 In Depth: The State Wants Out of China’s Biggest Air-Conditioner Maker. Why Does Everyone Else Want In?
- 3Regulators Move to Restructure Troubled Baoshang Bank
- 4Hong Kong Billionaire to Pay Tuition for Every Undergrad at Mainland University for Four Years
- 5 5 Things to Know About the Shanghai-London Stock Connect
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas