Chart of the Day: Shenzhen Overtakes Hong Kong
Four decades ago it was a fishing village — but today the Guangdong province metropolis of Shenzhen has grown to be worth 2.42 trillion yuan ($363.6 billion), making it a whisker bigger than the neighboring trade port of Hong Kong.
Hong Kong has been hit hard by the U.S.-China trade war, and saw its gross domestic product grow 3% to HK$2.85 trillion ($363 billion) last year, according to the annual budget revealed by Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po on Wednesday.
Hong Kong's Census and Statistics Department put the exchange rate for the year at HK$1.1855 to the yuan. By that measure the city’s economy was worth 2.40 trillion yuan, 22.1 billion yuan less than Shenzhen.
Shenzhen reported (link in Chinese) economic growth of 7.6% early February.
Chan said brewing trade tensions had weakened global growth in the second half last year. “External pressures” caused Hong Kong’s economy to grow 1.3% last quarter, its slowest pace since 2016, and outbound shipments declined 0.2% for the same period.
Meanwhile in Shenzhen, output from companies with annual revenue of 20 million yuan or more from their main business operations rose by 9.5% to 911 billion yuan in 2018, led by advanced and high-tech manufacturing.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (email@example.com)
May 29 18:23
May 29 18:04
May 29 12:40
May 28 16:02
May 28 12:52
May 28 09:10
May 27 16:43
May 27 13:27
May 27 12:54
May 26 17:38
May 26 17:03
May 26 12:26
May 26 10:44
May 26 03:26
- 1China’s ‘Bat Woman’ Warns Coronavirus Is ‘Just Tip of the Iceberg’
- 2Update: Mass Testing in Wuhan Uncovers Over 200 Asymptomatic Covid-19 Cases
- 3In Depth: Huawei’s Chip Dreams in Crosshairs of Latest U.S. Assault
- 4Premier Sends ‘Powerful’ Signal for China to Join Asia-Pacific’s Largest Trade Pact
- 5Washington Pressures China to Let U.S. Airlines Come Back
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas