China’s Foreign Exchange Reserves Inch Up After July Dip
(Bloomberg) — China’s foreign currency holdings rose in August, signaling the pressures from capital outflow remain muted despite the yuan’s rapid depreciation.
Reserves climbed to $3.107 trillion from $3.104 trillion in July, the People’s Bank of China said Saturday.
* The reading is higher than the median estimate of $3.1 trillion in a Bloomberg survey of economists.
* China’s reserves stockpile has stayed largely steady since 2017 as the authorities refrain from direct intervention in the market while keeping a tight rein on capital controls. The yuan weakened more than 3.8% in August, the biggest single-month decline since data started in 1994.
* “Capital outflow pressures may have increased in August, as the yuan weakened,” while trade and foreign investment remain in surplus, keeping the reserves holdings largely stable, said Wang Tao, chief China economist at UBS Group AG.
* Gold reserves rose for a ninth month.
* China’s foreign exchange supply and demand was basically balanced in August, and foreign exchange reserves rose on changes in asset prices and exchange rates, the State Administration of Foreign Exchange said in a statement.
Contact editor Yang Ge (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jul 15 19:21
Jul 15 18:44
Jul 15 18:36
Jul 15 16:03
Jul 15 13:28
Jul 15 11:54
Jul 14 18:17
Jul 14 18:02
Jul 14 17:24
Jul 14 16:18
Jul 14 12:20
Jul 13 19:13
Jul 13 18:03
Jul 13 16:34
Jul 13 13:57
- 1For Electric-Vehicle Maker Nio, Government Tie-Up Has Its Benefits
- 2In Depth: CATL Loses Electric-Car Battery Crown as Foreign Firms Muscle In
- 3Trending in China: Death of Giant Panda Cubs Sparks Concerns About Treatment of ‘National Treasure’
- 4Tencent President Cashes In $131 Million of Shares as Price Surges
- 5Cover Story: How Bill Gates Sees China Expanding Its Role in Global Health
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas