White Liquor for the Karakoram Highway
Midday, partly cloudy skies at the Khunjerab Pass. An armed Pakistani guard stiffens, locks eyes with bus driver Ahmed and barks the official question he's probably asked every driver who's ever crossed this remote area on the China-Pakistan border.
"Are you carrying any baijiu?" the guard demands, twitching his thick mustache with a leathery lip and glaring through the open bus door.
- 1In Depth: Cash-Strapped Local Governments Turn to Financing Vehicles to Plug Fiscal Shortfalls
- 2Weaker Demand for Chinese Goods Spells End of Shipping Boom
- 3China Foreign Minister Urges U.S. to Clearly Denounce Taiwan Separatist Activities
- 4Former Head of Exim Bank’s Beijing Branch Kicked Out of Communist Party
- 5E-Commerce Giant Shopee Cuts Jobs in China, Indonesia and Singapore
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas