Founder of Embattled Fanya Trading Exchange 'Missing Since October'
(Beijing) – The founder of the Fanya Metal Exchange, a troubled trading platform for nonferrous metals, has been missing for more than two months, a company under his control has told Hong Kong's stock exchange.
Shan Jiuliang, the founder of state-backed Fanya in the southwestern city of Kunming, has been unreachable since attending a board meeting on October 15, Imagi Animation Studies said in a filing to the bourse on December 17.
His wife, Zhang Peng, the executive director of Imagi, postponed a board meeting from November 27 to December 11, but neither one appeared at the meeting, the filing said.
Imagi also said Wen Di, a non-executive director of the company, resigned on November 8 and has not been seen since. Wen quit as the chief financial officer of Fanya in July, Imagi said earlier.
Fanya is involved in a dispute with some 220,000 investors across the country who say they have been cheated in a Ponzi scheme and want a total of 43 billion yuan returned.
More than 100 angry investors protested in front of the China Securities Regulatory Commission in September to demand that the government and police investigate the matter.
The company ceased operations in April, when investors said Fanya failed to pay them back, although no official announcement on a closure has been made.
Yunnan's government is considering filing fraud charges against Shan and Fanya, a person with knowledge of the matter says. A team led by the province's governor, Chen Hao, started investigating Fanya in November.
Before then, officials had been touting Fanya's success.
Song Hongbing, a popular author who Fanya investors say is linked to the company, was attacked by protestors in a hotel in Taiyuan, in the northern province of Shanxi on December 12, while at a speaking event.
Song, who writes a series of books that critics say are little more than conspiracy theories, said the protesters forced him to apologize for participating in a commercial activity organized by Fanya and feeding investors incorrect information about the firm's business model.
(Rewritten by Chen Na)
Aug 17 05:58
Aug 17 04:13
Aug 16 20:48
Aug 16 18:19
Aug 16 16:10
Aug 16 15:19
Aug 16 15:07
Aug 16 15:35
Aug 16 12:23
Aug 16 10:44
Aug 16 03:04
Aug 16 03:39
Aug 16 02:05
Aug 16 02:36
Aug 15 15:10
- 1Praise for JD and Huya, Less Excitement for Tencent Music and DouYu as ‘Team Tencent’ Reports
- 2Casino Giant Galaxy Entertainment’s H1 Profit Drops 7% as High-Rollers Stay Away
- 3TCL to Unveil Own Smart Screen This Week, Sources Say
- 4CX Daily: Hong Kong Cuts GDP Growth Forecast, Announces Stimulus Amid Unrest
- 5Does China Care About Climate Change?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas