Discipline Becomes Focus of CPC Plenum as Meeting Opens in Beijing
(Beijing) — The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has convened a four-day plenary session aimed at strengthening intraparty discipline, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
At the closed-door meeting that began Monday in Beijing, the committee — which includes more than 200 full members and about 170 alternative members — will induct five alternates as full members. Four seats became vacant due to members' indictments on corruption charges, and one vacancy was created when a member died.
The four disgraced members are Huang Xingguo, former mayor of the northern port city of Tianjin; former Fujian provincial Governor Su Shulin; former Liaoning party boss Wang Min; and Tian Xiusi, a retired army general who oversaw the People's Liberation Army's Air Force. The committee is expected to formally expel the four from the party for gross violations of party discipline.
Three alternates who were also indicted for corruption — including Lu Xiwen, a former deputy party chief of the city of Beijing — are expected to be expelled from the committee.
The committee, led by the 25-member Politburo under a seven-member Standing Committee, will deliberate on a new code of conduct for its 80-million-plus party members and a revision to a set of intraparty supervision rules that have been in place since 2004.
This sixth plenary session of the CPC's central committee is the next to last before a new party congress opens late next year, when a new top party leadership lineup will be ushered in as part of a major top-level shakeup.
Nov 21 20:17
Nov 21 16:02
Nov 21 15:56
Nov 21 13:07
Nov 21 13:52
Nov 21 12:09
Nov 21 10:31
Nov 21 04:32
- 1In Depth: Southeast Asia Becomes Region’s Next Tech Battleground
- 2U.S. to Extend Huawei Reprieve by Allowing It to Continue Trade With U.S. Clients: Report
- 3Quantum Computing, CRISPR, Drones, Are Put on Chinese Kids’ Reading List
- 4In Depth: The Rise and Fall of Asian Twin Cities
- 5China Sets Up Massive New Fund Firm to Transform Manufacturing
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas