Quick Take: China Investment Corp. Buys Stake in Brazilian Gas Pipeline
A consortium that includes Chinese sovereign wealth fund China Investment Corp. (CIC) bought a 90% stake in a natural gas pipeline unit in Brazil, CIC said Wednesday without disclosing the price.
CIC — along with Canada’s Brookfield Asset Management Inc. and other institutional investors — acquired the stake in Nova Transportadora do Sudeste SA (NTS) from Brazilian state-run oil firm Petroleo Brasileiro SA, or Petrobras, for about $5.1 billion, according to previous media reports.
However, the consortium immediately sold part of its interest to Brazilian conglomerate Investimentos Itau SA, or Itausa, retaining an 82.35% interest. Petrobras kept 10% and Itausa has a 7.65% stake, according to a Petrobras statement. Other investors’ stakes remain undisclosed.
Petrobras said Tuesday that its sale of the pipeline stake was concluded upon payment of $4.23 billion. The remaining balance of $850 million will be paid in five years.
The deal is part of Petrobras’ efforts to relieve its large debt burden by selling assets, Reuters reported last year. The oil company’s debt totaled $118 billion, according to its financial statement for the fourth quarter of 2016.
NTS has 2050 km of gas pipelines in Brazil and 44 gas delivery outlets in the southeast region.
Contact reporter Song Shiqing (email@example.com)
Jan 23 18:30
Jan 23 16:00
Jan 23 10:48
Jan 23 05:58
Jan 23 03:49
Jan 23 03:41
Jan 23 03:09
Jan 22 15:44
Jan 22 06:31
Jan 22 03:47
Jan 22 03:06
- 1Wuhan Virus Latest: China Reports First Deaths Outside Epicenter of Outbreak
- 2Reporter’s Note: We Stayed in Wuhan as the Last Trains Pulled Out
- 3Wuhan Virus Update: Health Expert Warns of ‘Super-Spreader’ of Viral Pneumonia
- 4How Did Two Women Drive a Luxury SUV Into the Forbidden City?
- 5After Layoffs, Oracle Executive Vows to Stay in China
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas