WeChat Widens Crackdown on Celebrity Gossip
(Beijing) — WeChat — China’s most popular social networking app, on which millions of original articles are created, read and shared daily — has recently shut down dozens of widely followed accounts in accordance with the demands of internet regulators.
Tencent Holdings Ltd., the internet giant that operates WeChat, followed orders from the Guangdong branch of the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) and closed 32 WeChat subscription accounts beginning Thursday. Among the accounts closed was that of Harper’s Bazaar, and the celebrity gossip weekly owned by Southern Metropolis, one of the nation’s largest media groups.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas