Shanghai May Beat Hong Kong in IPO Fundraising
Hong Kong slid to third place by amount of money raised through initial public offering (IPO), due to a lack of mega listings so far this year.
In the first three quarters of this year, 106 companies raised HK$85 billion ($10.89 billion) on the Hong Kong stock exchange, down 37% year-on-year, according to a report from Deloitte China released on Thursday.
In comparison, 44 companies raised HK$143 billion on the New York Stock Exchange and 173 companies raised HK$120.3 billion on the Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) during the first three quarters. The Shenzhen and London stock exchanges ranked fourth and fifth by IPO value, according to the report
The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (SEHK) had ranked first for the last two years by amount of money raised through IPOs. Last year, its largest listing was the Postal Savings Bank of China, which raised HK$57.6 billion during the third quarter. SEHK’s largest listing so far this year has been Guotai Junan Securities, which raised HK$17.2 billion, ZhongAn Online P&C Insurance with HK$11.3 billion, and Zhongyuan Bank, which raised HK$9.3 billion.
Deloitte predicts the SSE will surpass the SEHK by IPO value this year, the first time in the history of the two exchanges. The SEHK is slated to complete several dozens more listing in the fourth quarter to bring its yearly total to HK$130-150 billion, while the SSE will likely raise HK$150-170 billion before year end, according to Deloitte.
The listing of China Tower Corp., a telecommunications infrastructure firm, could tip the balance, said Edward Au, partner and co-leader of the national public offering group at Deloitte China. If the joint venture company lists before year end, SEHK has a chance to surpass the SSE and finish in second place, Au said.
The SEHK ranked first by IPO value for five of the last eight years, according to data from the exchange.
Contact reporter Liu Xiao (email@example.com)
Jun 01 17:41
Jun 01 12:22
May 29 18:23
May 29 18:04
May 29 12:40
May 28 16:02
May 28 12:52
May 28 09:10
May 27 16:43
May 27 13:27
May 27 12:54
May 26 17:38
May 26 17:03
May 26 12:26
May 26 10:44
- 1China’s ‘Bat Woman’ Warns Coronavirus Is ‘Just Tip of the Iceberg’
- 2Update: Mass Testing in Wuhan Uncovers Over 200 Asymptomatic Covid-19 Cases
- 3In Depth: Huawei’s Chip Dreams in Crosshairs of Latest U.S. Assault
- 4Premier Sends ‘Powerful’ Signal for China to Join Asia-Pacific’s Largest Trade Pact
- 5China Won’t Ease Curbs on International Flights as Fast as Expected
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas