Quick Take: MGM China to Launch Second Resort in Macau
MGM China said its second casino-resort in Macau will open for business early next year, the latest sign that the island’s gambling and tourism industries are recovering.
The $3.4 billion, near 1,440-room resort, MGM Cotai, is slated to open on Jan. 29, Chief Financial Officer Wang Zhiqi said Monday. The opening was postponed from the end of this year after a typhoon in August swept through the island, Wang said.
The island’s casino industry has started to show signs of recovery from hits taken from China’s anti-corruption campaign and Macau’s sluggish economic growth.
“Today’s Macau is not what it used to be,” said Wang, referring to the local government’s efforts to diversify the city’s economy. He said nearly 90% of the MGM Cotai’s construction costs had nothing to do with the gambling business.
During the first half of 2017, MGM China reported HK$7.39 billion ($9.47 billion) in revenue, up 3.34% from the same period a year ago, according to the company’s earnings report. The group generated HK$1.27 billion in net profit, down 2.33% from the first six months of 2016. MGM China’s share of Macau’s casino market slipped 1.1 percentage points year-on-year to 7.2% in the first half of this year.
Contact reporter Dong Tongjian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
May 24 22:24
May 24 18:31
May 24 16:37
May 24 16:03
May 24 15:54
May 24 14:18
May 24 13:52
May 24 11:43
May 24 02:36
May 24 02:29
May 24 02:51
May 23 19:33
May 23 18:53
May 23 18:27
- 1Former Chief Securities Regulator Put Under Investigation
- 2Exclusive: Saudi Oil Colossus Wants to Shift Its China Business Downstream
- 3New Credit Bureau Finds Good Data Is Hard to Come By
- 4Central Bank Reveals First Step to Unifying Benchmark, Market Rates
- 5Blame U.S. Politicians, Not Companies, Huawei Founder Says, Dismissing Blind Nationalism
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas