‘Simply Kicked Out’: How Village Committees Deprive Women of Their Land Rights
Women may hold up half the sky in China, but when it comes to land, it’s a totally different matter.
As the country’s arable land shrinks and rural property values surge, women are being robbed of their rights by the village committees who allocate and manage land.
Women are suffering from double discrimination at the hands of these committees that are elected by local residents. In many places, women who marry outsiders have their claim to land in their birthplace revoked, even when the land certificates still bear their names. Those who move to their husband's villages are often refused recognition and the right to any claim on their spouse's land.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas