Zhou Xiaochuan: Central Bank Governor Who Modernized China’s Financial System
Zhou Xiaochuan, the face of China's financial system for 15 years, is expected to officially step down as governor of the People's Bank of China (PBOC) on Monday, having led the institution through momentous changes that transformed it from a bit-player to one of the most important central banks in the world.
His retirement is set to be announced days after the government released plans for a sweeping overhaul that will see the central bank gain considerable new regulatory powers over the financial system and its institutions in order to prevent and control financial risks.
- 1Caixin View: China Feels Chill From Trouble in Turkey
- 285-Year-Old Petitioner, in Poor Health, Denied Parole
- 3In Depth: HNA Charts New Course Back to Airline Basics
- 4On Beijing’s Orders, Tsinghua May Give Up Control of Chipmaker Units
- 5Banned From Planes and Trains, Jia Yueting Hands Over U.S. Car Startup’s China Business
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas