U.S.-China Imbalance Needs Global Context, Beijing Vice Mayor Says
The search for solutions to the trade imbalance between China and the U.S. should be viewed under the broader backdrop of the global supply chain, said Yin Yong, vice mayor of Beijing and a former deputy governor of the People’s Bank of China.
“When we talk about the trade conflict, we only focus on the trade figures. But this is not a panorama,” Yin said at a conference Friday in Washington jointly hosted by Caixin Media and U.S. think-tank Peterson Institute for International Economics.
“Besides the U.S. and China, there is the rest of the world. If we look at that picture, we will find something different,” Yi said to a group of economists and executives who had gathered to discuss global economic perspective and China.
In the long supply chain amid globalization, the U.S. is at the very end of the stream as an end-user, with China beside it, meaning a significant part of the surplus is created by the upper stream of the supply chain.
Yin was appointed vice mayor of Beijing in January, following his tenure as a deputy governor of the central bank since December 2016.
“If we look at the trade deficit in terms of goods and services together, China takes only 37% of the share of the U.S. trade deficit and the rest of the world takes 63%,” he said.
The current supply chain is chosen by the market and any artificial adjustments through a trade war will cost both the U.S. and China, Yi said, suggesting that the countries should work together to fix the imbalance by increasing Chinese imports while loosening U.S. export controls.
“A trade war is a lose-lose game for both the U.S. and China,” Yin said.
If the U.S. can loosen export controls and treat China as it does France, its trade deficit with China could shrink 34%, Yin said, citing a study by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
For China, a more mature and open service sector will help it balance its trade with the U.S. Currently, China’s service sector accounts for about 52% of the national GDP, far less than the up to 80% share of some developed economies, Yi said.
While China holds a huge surplus with the U.S. in terms of the trade of goods, the U.S. has more competitiveness in service trade, he said.
Click here for more coverage of the Caixin's "China and the World" roundtable.
Contact reporter Han Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mar 05 06:10 PM
Mar 05 04:12 PM
Mar 05 01:56 PM
Mar 05 12:55 PM
Mar 04 05:33 PM
Mar 04 12:46 PM
Mar 04 12:32 PM
Mar 03 06:28 PM
Mar 03 06:17 PM
Mar 03 04:26 PM
Mar 03 12:26 PM
Mar 03 11:59 AM
Mar 02 05:33 PM
Mar 02 02:05 PM
Mar 01 07:02 PM
- 1Cover Story: The Green Finance Challenge Facing China’s Banks
- 2Four Things to Know About China’s $18.5 Billion Failed Chip Champ
- 3Manufacturing Recovery Slows as Employment Comes Under Pressure, Caixin PMI Shows
- 4Loose Monetary and Fiscal Policy Overseas Poses a Risk to China, Head of Top Banking Watchdog Says
- 5China Seeks to Avoid More Bank Bailouts With ‘Living Will’ Requirement
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas