Tencent Leads $820 Million Investment in Robot-Maker Ubtech
Shenzhen-based artificial intelligence (AI) and humanoid-robotic company Ubtech Robotics Inc. Thursday completed fundraising of $820 million, led by internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd.
The funding round valued 6-year-old Ubtech at $5 billion. Ubtech founder and CEO Zhou Jian said the company will use the capital to enhance research capacity, expand in overseas markets and recruit talent.
Other participating investors include Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Haier, Telstra, China Minsheng Bank, Juran Zhijia, CreditEase and Green Pine Capital, as well as CDH Investments, which led Ubtech’s previous $100 million funding in 2016.
Ubtech is a developer of consumer humanoid robots for business, entertainment and educational purposes. The company’s products are available in more than 40 countries.
The investment marks another push by Tencent into the emerging AI market. The social media giant has already partnered with Ubtech in robot development, and they jointly launched the educational robot QrobotAlpha in December. Previously, Tencent invested in U.S. robot maker Marble and Canadian robot developer Kindred Systems. Both companies specialize in robots for logistics purpose.
Contact reporter Han Wei (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mar 21 17:12
Mar 21 17:16
Mar 21 16:52
Mar 21 15:49
Mar 20 19:25
Mar 20 18:20
Mar 20 17:07
Mar 20 16:06
Mar 20 16:43
Mar 20 14:49
Mar 20 14:36
Mar 20 12:35
Mar 20 01:57
Mar 19 20:56
- 1China Passes Landmark Foreign Investment Law
- 2Update: Tax Cuts Mean Governments Need to Tighten Their Belts: Premier Li
- 3China Became Net Importer of Rare Earths in 2018
- 4Uxin Shares Plunge as Revenue Surge Fails to Yield Profit
- 5Popular WeChat Account Valued at 2 Billion Yuan Snapped Up By Education Firm
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas