Does China Rely Too Much on Taxing Salaries?
A former talk show host’s accusation that tax evasion is prevalent in show business has reignited a debate in China about whether the government relies too much on taxing people’s salaries.
Cui Yongyuan, a former talk show host at state broadcaster CCTV, took to social media over the weekend to accuse a prominent, but unnamed, movie star of tax evasion, unintentionally sparking a debate about the fairness of current tax system as the central government collects the majority of its tax revenue from people’s wages.
- 1Caixin View: China Feels Chill From Trouble in Turkey
- 285-Year-Old Petitioner, in Poor Health, Denied Parole
- 3In Depth: HNA Charts New Course Back to Airline Basics
- 4On Beijing’s Orders, Tsinghua May Give Up Control of Chipmaker Units
- 5Banned From Planes and Trains, Jia Yueting Hands Over U.S. Car Startup’s China Business
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas