Hu Haifeng Moves Up the Party Ranks
Hu Haifeng was named party secretary of Lishui, a city in the wealthy coastal province of Zhejiang, according to an announcement released by the provincial party committee.
Hu had been the mayor of Jiaxing, another city in Zhejiang, since March 2016. Before that, he was deputy secretary of the Communist Party branch in Jiaxing.
He is the son of former Chinese President Hu Jintao.
The younger Hu made headlines in April 2017 when he led more than 100 local officials to observe a court hearing for a lawsuit filed by a Jiaxing resident against a government agency, which he said would raise awareness among the officials about the rule of law.
The 45-year-old is the only son of Hu Jintao, who ruled China from 2002 to 2012. He has an executive MBA from prestigious Tsinghua University, where he worked for years before going into business. He had a brief stint with Nuctech Company Ltd., a firm launched by Tsinghua that became a leading supplier of security inspection equipment for a wide range of industries, including civil aviation and railways. Hu was party secretary of Tsinghua Holdings, which controls Nuctech, in 2009, when Nuctech was embroiled in a corruption scandal. Hu was not implicated in any wrongdoing.
In China, numerous children and grandchildren of former leaders and revolutionary heroes have held political office.
China’s current leader, Xi Jinping, himself is the son of a revolutionary hero and former political leader Xi Zhongxun.
Li Xiaopeng, the son of former Premier Li Peng, served as vice governor and then governor of Shanxi province, and is now China’s transport minister.
Contact reporter Li Rongde (email@example.com)
Jul 23 18:32
Jul 23 17:09
Jul 23 15:25
Jul 23 15:41
Jul 23 15:07
Jul 23 12:26
Jul 23 11:08
Jul 23 09:13
Jul 23 05:32
Jul 23 05:42
Jul 23 05:41
Jul 22 18:43
- 1Exclusive: Head of China Development Bank’s Shandong Branch Commits Suicide
- 2Beijing Breathes Cleanest Air on Record
- 3Ministry Outlines Ultra HD Video’s Broad Application Prospects
- 4Peking University Scientists Pioneer New Gene-Editing Technology
- 5More Financial Institutions Exposed to Camsing Fraud Scandal
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas