Chart of the Day: Stock Trading Spikes to 11-Month High
Chinese stock investors are trading more as the country’s markets show signs of rebounding after months of poor performance. The combined daily trading volume on the Shanghai Stock Exchange and the Shenzhen Stock Exchange hit an 11-month high on Tuesday, according to official data.
Confidence in the country’s bumpy stock markets seems to be recovering, as investors traded over 607.1 billion yuan ($89.7 billion) worth of shares on the two bourses Tuesday, the largest daily trading volume since March 23.
Chinese investors have had a miserable past year as the markets sank amid the country’s slower economic growth and rising trade tensions with the U.S. In October, the benchmark Shanghai Composite Index, the primary indicator of China’s stock market, dropped to a four-year low.
The latest uptick in total social financing — a broad measure of credit and liquidity in the Chinese economy — and the easing China-U.S. trade tensions have paved the way for a rebound in the stock market, said Zhang Yulong, an analyst with China Securities Co. in a research note.
The gradual improvement in market sentiment is the key driver of the improvement, said Ming Ming, an analyst at Citic Securities in a note (link in Chinese). One key factor that will affect market sentiment in the short term is ongoing Sino-U.S. trade negotiations, Ming said.
Contact reporter Charlotte Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jun 26 18:38
Jun 26 18:28
Jun 26 18:51
Jun 26 17:29
Jun 26 16:51
Jun 26 15:56
Jun 26 14:05
Jun 26 12:03
- 1In Depth: Nio Stalls in Its Quest to Become China’s Tesla
- 2Honda Battles Great Wall Motors Over Copyright Case
- 3EV Fires Caused by Fast-Charging Flaws, Chinese Scientist Says
- 4Huawei Rolls Out New Kirin Chip for Mid-Range Phones
- 5In Depth: How Baoshang Takeover Shook Secretive Corner of Bond Market
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas