First Cases of Swine Fever Reported in Guangxi, Shandong
Twenty-seven Chinese provincial-level regions have now confirmed outbreaks of African swine fever, with the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region and Shandong province as the latest to reveal the disease has spread to their hog farms.
On Tuesday, China’s Ministry of Agriculture announced that 23,555 pigs in Guangxi had been slaughtered in disease control operations. The ministry said 1,629 pigs had been infected there and 924 had died from the disease, which typically kills pigs it infects but is not known to impact humans.
On Wednesday, the agriculture ministry said 4,504 pigs had been slaughtered in Shandong after 17 swine fever cases were confirmed and three pigs died.
The spread of the disease has stymied pork sales and left many farmers who have had to slaughter their whole stock of pigs are unwilling to restock. This week, pork dumplings made by frozen food giant Sanquan were taken off supermarket shelves after several batches of the dumplings were found to be contaminated with African swine fever.
Almost 1 million pigs have died or been slaughtered in China due to the disease.
Only in Hebei province, Hainan, Xinjiang, Tibet, and Hong Kong and Macau have no cases of the disease been reported.
A previous version of the story misstated how many provincial-level regions in China had reported cases of African swine fever. It was 27, not 26.
Contact reporter Ren Qiuyu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jul 02 19:38
Jul 02 16:33
Jul 02 14:50
Jul 02 13:28
Jul 02 12:04
Jul 01 19:08
Jul 01 17:47
Jul 01 16:22
Jul 01 15:59
Jul 01 12:58
Jun 30 18:14
Jun 30 17:59
Jun 30 16:17
Jun 30 12:53
Jun 29 16:35
- 1Cover Story: The Mystery of $2 Billion of Loans Backed by Fake Gold
- 2Dialogue with Jared Diamond: Global Pandemic and Crisis Management
- 3Exclusive: China Plans to Grant Securities Licenses to Commercial Banks
- 4EU May Open Borders to Chinese Travelers if Beijing Reciprocates
- 5China Business Digest: Luckin Coffee to be Kicked Off Nasdaq; U.S. Sets Record for New Covid-19 Cases in a Single Day
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas