Chart of the Day: Sharing Economy Grew Over 40% Last Year
China’s sharing economy was worth 2.94 trillion yuan ($440 billion) last year, up 41.6% year-on-year, a report by a government think tank said.
Activities counted as part of the sharing economy by the State Information Center are those which involve consumers or businesses sharing resources through online platforms, according to the report released Thursday.
Much of the increase was driven by the rapid growth of production capacity sharing, which was up 97.5% to 823.6 billion yuan and accounted for 28% of the total. Production capacity was defined in the report as the fixed assets companies use for production, such as machines in a factory.
The service industry — including food delivery — accounted for 54% of the total sharing economy. It was up 23% year-on-year to 1.6 trillion yuan.
China’s sharing economy will increase by an average of 30% annually for the next three years, the report estimated.
It is likely that many of the people offered job opportunities by the sector’s growth will come from rural areas. In 2018, 77% of the 2.7 million delivery drivers working for Meituan Dianping came from rural areas, and around 670,000 riders were from counties designated as impoverished, the report said.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aug 05 18:04
Aug 05 17:20
Aug 05 17:03
Aug 05 16:47
Aug 05 15:15
Aug 05 13:25
Aug 04 17:56
Aug 04 14:11
Aug 03 18:29
Aug 03 16:27
- 1In Depth: China’s Exporters Find 1.4 Billion Domestic Consumers Are a Tough Sell
- 2China Pushes Local Governments to Borrow $220 Billion by Oct. 31
- 3In Depth: Behind the Bet on China’s Pricey, Technologically Lagging Chipmakers
- 4China’s Top Leaders Lay Out Economic Agenda as Focus Shifts From Pandemic Support
- 5Exclusive: Ant Group Aims to Raise $30 Billion in Record-Shattering IPO
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas