Caixin Global – Latest China News & Headlines

Home >


CX Tech is Caixin Global's real-time tech news portal, featuring 24-hour news, short-form analysis, and roundups from business and tech media in China.

Trending in China: Will Weibo’s Fight Against Porn Have Other Unintended Side Effects
Tencent Leads $40 Million Investment in Online Art Educator
Alibaba Aims to Facilitate $1.4 Trillion in Sales Annually By 2024
Trending in China: Death of Giant Panda Cubs Sparks Concerns About Treatment of ‘National Treasure’
China CFO of Indian Oyo Quits to ‘Pursue Other Professional Opportunities’
Sequoia Capital Opens Its First Tech Incubation Center in Shanghai
Some 266 Foreign-Invested Firms Approved to Offer Telecom Services in China in First Half of 2020
Trending in China: Should Internet Celebrities Be Part of the School Curriculum?
Sequoia China Leads Nearly $100m Round in Storytelling App Kuaidian
Medical Robot Maker Finds Elixir in STAR Board’s Market Reforms
Trending in China: Outrage Ensues as Updated U.S. Student Visa Policies Force International Students into a Dilemma
Tencent’s PUBG Mobile Game Hits $3 Billion Milestone
Luckin Coffee Shareholders Vote to Remove Chairman, Bloomberg Reports
France Won’t Ban But Will Discourage Use of Huawei 5G Equipment, Official Says
Trending in China: ‘Lipstick King’ Li Jiaqi Settles in Shanghai, Prompting a Rethink of ‘Talent’
Tencent Plays in U.S. With California Game Studio Launch
Trending in China: Shenzhen Thinks Only Children Should Get Paid Leave to Look After Their Parents - Cue Heated Debate
German Drugmaker BI Launches Shanghai Center to Harness Chinese Expertise
Chinese Self-Driving Truck Firm Aims to Cover Most of U.S. by 2024
Trending in China: Chinese Netizens Tell Indian Prime Minister Modi To ‘Shut The Door On The Way Out’ As He Quits Weibo
Baidu Registered Most Kilometers Driven by Autonomous Vehicles in Beijing Last Year, Survey Shows

By Ding Yi / Mar 03, 2020 01:54 PM / Economy

Photo: VCG

Photo: VCG

Chinese tech giant Baidu had the highest number of driverless vehicles and registered the most kilometers traveled by autonomous vehicles on Beijing's test approved roads in 2019, according to a survey.

The Beijing-based company’s 52 autonomous vehicles traveled 754,000 kilometers during road tests in the Chinese capital last year, accounting for about 85% of the total distances driven by self-driving cars owned by 12 licensed firms including Tencent, Didi and Nio, the survey showed, which was released Monday by the Beijing Innovation Center for Mobility Intelligent (BICMI).

Baidu was also the only company to test self-driving vehicles carrying human passengers on Beijing roads that year, BICMI said.

Guangzhou-based startup came in second on the city’s road-test list, but lagged far behind Baidu with 111,200 kilometers driven by five autonomous vehicles. Japanese automaker Toyota claimed the third spot with four driverless cars covering 11,100 kilometers, according to the survey. Last week, raised $400 million from Toyota to boost the development and commercialization of automated vehicles.

Overall, the 12 companies tested a total of 73 autonomous vehicles on Beijing roads last year, covering 886,600 kilometers, up from 153,600 kilometers eight firms drove in 2018, according to the survey.

The survey did not provide the number of cases in which a human driver had to take control of the car to avoid an accident, namely the level of “disengagement” that California’s counterpart report demands, but said that 86% of “disengagements” were due to human takeovers caused by change of data recorders and test routes or personal reasons while the remaining 14% were attributable to software system failures.

Beijing is among the few Chinese cities that allow eligible companies to conduct road tests of autonomous vehicles. As of the end of last December, the city has allowed 151 roads to be used for autonomous vehicle tests, totaling more than 500 kilometers in length.

Contact reporter Ding Yi (

Related: China Plans to Mass Produce Driverless Cars by 2025 Later Than Previous Forecast

Share this article
Open WeChat and scan the QR code