Charts of the Day: China’s Rising Number of Imported Coronavirus Cases
Another front in China’s battle against the fast-moving coronavirus has opened up in recent weeks as the number of the cases being brought into the country from overseas has continued to grow.
There had been 67 “imported” cases as of Sunday, according to the country’s top health body. Of those cases, 43 are people who have traveled to Iran, and 19 are among people who have been to Italy.
The situation comes as the number of new infections being reported overseas has exceeded the number in China since late February. Many of the imported cases are Chinese nationals who studied, worked or visited affected countries before returning to China, sparking concerns over a new phase in the domestic outbreak.
South Korea had reported 7,382 confirmed cases as of Sunday, remaining the country with the most cases after China. Italy came in second with 7,375 cases (link in Italian), followed by Iran with 6,566 cases (link in Farsi) by Sunday. All three countries have seen their numbers of daily new infections rise rapidly over the past week.
Caixin’s coverage of the new coronavirus
With a total of 51 deaths, South Korea’s fatality rate was 0.7% as of Sunday, while nearly 5% of people confirmed to have had the disease had died in Italy. Iran’s fatality rate came in at 3%.
Contact reporter Tang Ziyi (firstname.lastname@example.org) and editor Joshua Dummer (email@example.com)
Caixin Global has launched Caixin CEIC Mobile, the mobile-only version of its world-class macroeconomic data platform.
- 1Weibo to Guide Hong Kong Offering Price at HK$272.80 a Share
- 2EV-Battery Maker CATL to Build $5 Billion New Production Base
- 3Shanghai Composite Index Fell 0.09% on Thursday
- 4Alibaba-Backed Bike-Sharing Startup Hello Races for Electric Sales
- 5Update: Chinese Regulator Denies Reports of VIE Listing Ban
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas