Golden Sun, Missing Mojos, and Feng Shui
Sun Yang won his third individual gold medal at the FINA World Championships, adding the 1,500 meter title to his wins in the 400 meter and 800 meter. He kept pace with Canadian Ryan Cochrane for most of the race, and then blasted away in the final two lengths. It was well outside his own world record pace, but he never looked troubled. What's more, he could easily have had a fourth gold: his anchor leg in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay, which pulled China up into the bronze medal position, was a full second quicker than anyone else swam in either the individual or relay events.
Meanwhile China's other Olympic hero in the pool appears to have forgotten how to swim. Ye Shiwen amazingly finished out of the medals in the 200 meter IM last week, and followed that up with 7th in the 400 meter IM. Her time was 3.6 seconds than her qualifying time and more than 10 seconds slower than her world record time set in London last year. Looking at the splits, it's her breaststroke that needs the most work, but her mojo has well and truly gone.
Think China's golfing dominance is a long way off? Maybe not, given the fact that their juniors have just beaten the Americans for a second straight year.
Interesting look from the BBC at how feng shui is influencing soccer in the UK, with Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland and others all getting a mention.
And the BBC also asks "Could cricket have a big future in China?" Of course not, but it's a fun read.
Mark Dreyer is a sports journalist
Oct 30 06:09 PM
Oct 30 05:58 PM
Oct 30 02:07 PM
Oct 30 01:03 PM
Oct 30 12:24 PM
Oct 30 11:26 AM
Oct 29 07:18 PM
Oct 29 04:59 PM
Oct 29 04:53 PM
Oct 29 01:03 PM
Oct 29 10:29 AM
Oct 29 12:36 AM
Oct 28 06:09 PM
Oct 28 06:08 PM
Oct 28 05:37 PM
- 1Semiconductor Tech Trends Favor China in the Long Term
- 2Cover Story: A Fugitive Businessman’s High-Profile Bet in Myanmar
- 3Financial Sector Should Avoid ‘Wrong Paths’ of Speculation, Bubbles and Ponzi Schemes, Vice President Says
- 4Analysis: Jack Ma Needs a Refresher on How Financial Regulation Works
- 5In Depth: Why Was a Shanghai Zoo Worker Killed in a Bear Attack?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas