Quick Take: Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Area Explores Role in Internationalizing Yuan
The Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau “Greater Bay Area” is exploring a pilot program that will allow freer use of the yuan between the province and two special administrative regions, a Hong Kong government official said Friday.
James Lau, Hong Kong’s secretary for financial services and the treasury, said Hu Chunhua, chief party secretary of Guangdong province, brought up the idea during his visit to Hong Kong in July. Discussions remain in an early stage with little progress, Lau added.
China is internationalizing its currency and allowing more cooperation between Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macau to support the drive, according to a previous agreement signed on July 1 under the initiative of developing the Greater Bay Area.
The goals of this initiative are allowing Guangdong to deepen its reform and open its market, and to consolidate Hong Kong’s position as a regional financial hub as well as its role as a strategic offshore yuan center.
There has been three mutual market connects that opened doors of capital flows between Hong Kong and the mainland so far, including two dual-way connects linking Hong Kong with stocks listed in Shanghai and Shenzhen bourse, and a northbound channel that allows foreign investors to trade Chinese bonds.
Mutual access to enlarge capital flows will eventually expand to a broader area such as payment and clearing system of onshore yuan when the time is right, Lau added.
Contact reporter Leng Cheng (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jun 05 23:57
Jun 05 17:06
Jun 05 13:20
Jun 04 17:45
Jun 04 17:19
Jun 04 16:26
Jun 04 12:38
Jun 03 18:07
Jun 03 16:48
Jun 03 13:17
Jun 03 12:25
Jun 03 06:45
Jun 02 16:29
Jun 02 14:45
- 1Update: China to Allow Banned Foreign Airlines to Resume Some Flights
- 2Luckin Founder to Cash Out of Rental Car Unit
- 3BNP Paribas Chinese Unit Fined for Anti-Money Laundering Violations
- 4Fighting Coronavirus: Policy Analysis and Practical Experiences
- 5TSMC Looks Homeward for New $10 Billion Chip Plant
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas