Still in the Shadows
Unregulated cash continues swirling through China’s “shadow banking” system.
Following years of off-balance-sheet lending to pump up the economy’s overall credit growth, the China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) has been trying to rein in the runaway expansion of “shadow loans.”
One of the regulator’s policies is limiting commercial banks’ investment in “nonstandard credit assets.” These are repackaged loans traded outside the interbank bond market and stock exchanges. However, one type of nonstandard credit asset — credit beneficiary rights — somehow managed to escape regulatory oversight.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas