Quick Take: Tencent’s Market Cap Exceeds $480 Bln as Stock Surges
Hong Kong-traded shares of China social media giant Tencent Holdings surged to a record high Friday after the company posted strong quarterly growth, pushing up the company’s market cap to HK$3.8 trillion ($486 billion).
Shares of Shenzhen-based Tencent, which runs the popular messaging app WeChat, climbed as high as HK$405 each in early trading Friday. The stock closed at an all-time high of HK$403.40, up almost 3% from the previous day.
So far this year, Tencent’s shares have climbed 114.6%.
Earlier this week, Tencent reported better-than-expected results for the third quarter, driven primarily by games, payment-related services, digital content subscriptions and sales, and online advertising.
Tencent reported a 61% rise in third-quarter sales to 65 billion yuan, with net profit gaining 67% to 18 billion yuan.
Several institutions including Citibank, Nomura Securities and HSBC upgraded Tencent’s stock rating after the financial reports.
Hong Hao, managing director and chief strategist at BOCOM International, said the rise of Tencent’s share price reflected investors’ growing confidence in the company’s profit model, which focuses on platform development.
Tencent’s Wechat app is growing into a ubiquitous social network in China, integrating a wide range of services such as payment, online shopping and ticket booking. The number of monthly active users of WeChat worldwide rose 1.8% to 980 million from the previous quarter, according to Tencent.
May 07 08:24 PM
May 07 07:51 PM
May 07 07:39 PM
May 07 04:35 PM
May 06 06:31 PM
May 06 06:25 PM
May 06 06:16 PM
May 05 06:52 PM
May 05 06:46 PM
May 05 06:43 PM
May 04 06:37 PM
May 04 06:34 PM
May 04 05:50 PM
Apr 30 07:05 PM
Apr 30 06:31 PM
- 1Sinopharm’s Vaccine Nears Emergency-Use Approval by WHO
- 2HNA Units’ $15 Billion in Losses Show the Challenges in Store for Restructuring China’s Profligate Conglomerates
- 3China Hits More Internet Businesses With Antitrust Fines
- 4China’s Policy Banks Miss Deadline to File Last Year’s Annual Reports
- 5Patchy Risk Disclosure Earns Shanghai Pudong Development Bank a Slap on the Wrist
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas