China’s First Centralized Online Personal Credit Database Takes Shape
A new company led by the National Internet Finance Association of China has submitted an application to the central bank for a license to operate the country’s first centralized database on online personal credit.
The People’s Bank of China announced the application submission on Thursday.
The database would help internet finance firms and commercial banks better analyze consumers’ credit histories before they extend loans. Calls for a centralized system became increasingly urgent after online lenders complained consumers often borrow from multiple platforms to roll over debt without the lenders’ knowledge.
The company would focus on collecting data from outside traditional financial institutions to complement the central bank’s own credit reporting platform.
Caixin has learned the personal credit information on the proposed platform would come primarily from online microlenders and peer-to-peer lending platforms, as well as consumer loans firms, with the goal of improving data sharing within the industry.
The National Internet Finance Association of China, a self-governed industry association, would hold a 36% stake in the new company. The rest would be divided evenly between eight private companies: Zhima Credit, Tencent Credit Services, Shenzhen Qianhai Credit, Pengyuan Credit, China Chengxin Credit, Koala Credit, Intellicredit, and Sinoway Credit. The company would have a registered capital of 1 billion yuan ($154 million).
Globally, there are many examples of independent credit information reporting platforms led by industry associations rather than companies or financial institutions, said Lai Jinchang, lead financial sector specialist at the International Finance Centre in the East Asia and Pacific Region. Regulators should not stop at just this one system and should work to create specialized credit reporting agencies next, Lai said.
Contact reporter Liu Xiao (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Aug 20 17:47
Aug 20 16:01
Aug 20 15:08
Aug 20 13:18
Aug 20 12:15
Aug 20 07:38
Aug 20 04:57
Aug 20 03:52
Aug 20 03:27
Aug 20 03:46
Aug 20 02:47
Aug 19 19:23
Aug 19 17:59
Aug 19 16:18
Aug 19 16:20
- 1Praise for JD and Huya, Less Excitement for Tencent Music and DouYu as ‘Team Tencent’ Reports
- 2Casino Giant Galaxy Entertainment’s H1 Profit Drops 7% as High-Rollers Stay Away
- 3TCL to Unveil Own Smart Screen This Week, Sources Say
- 4CX Daily: Hong Kong Cuts GDP Growth Forecast, Announces Stimulus Amid Unrest
- 5Does China Care About Climate Change?
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas