City Lights: Are Yi Ethnic Minority Youth Marginalized in Factory Towns?
When Shazigu, from the Yi ethnic minority, failed his high-school entrance exam, he decided to follow in the footsteps of dozens of other teenagers from his poverty-stricken village and find work in the southern manufacturing hub of Dongguan.
The 18-year-old is among the army of teenage workers that trickle out of mountainous villages in the Liangshan Yi Autonomous Prefecture, which straddles the southern border of Sichuan province in southwest China. These teens power assembly lines during the Lunar New Year, when workers of the country’s majority Han ethnicity return home for weeks on end. Yi people hold their New Year celebrations months earlier.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas