Marriott Draws Fire Over Geography Slip-Up
Global hotel giant Marriott International Inc. has apologized after online anger erupted over its description of Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and Tibet as “countries” in a recent customer survey.
The controversy began on Tuesday when a user on Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter, posted screenshots from a survey to members of Marriott’s customer-loyalty program. The shots showed that Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Tibet were offered as possible answers to the question, “Which country are you currently living in?”
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas