Quick Take: Chinese Bank Brands Outperform Global Peers
The brand value of China’s top banks increased by 22% in 2017, more than double the average growth experienced by the world’s top 500 banks.
The value of the 45 Chinese bank brands on the top 500 list rose to $317 billion, while the 76 U.S. bank brands on the list were valued at $260 billion in total, according to new research from consultancy Brand Finance.
The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China and China Construction Bank are the world’s two most valuable bank brands, valued at $59.2 billion and $56.8 billion, respectively. China’s two other major state-owned banks, Bank of China and Agricultural Bank of China, ranked fourth and sixth on the most valuable bank brands list. The four banks are also the world’s largest by assets, according the to the most recent ranking from S&P Global.
“The big tech companies are already encroaching into areas traditionally supplied by banks such as payments and financing, and are backed by powerful brands,” said Brand Finance CEO David Haigh.
Brand Finance calculates a brand’s value by applying a royalty rate to forecasted revenues attributed to the brand. The royalty rate is calculated based on the industry’s royalty range, which is calculated from licensing agreements, combined with a company or bank’s brand strength determined by marketing investment, stakeholder equity and business performance.
Contact reporter Liu Xiao (email@example.com)
Jul 13 19:13
Jul 13 18:03
Jul 13 16:34
Jul 13 13:57
Jul 13 12:49
Jul 10 19:00
Jul 10 18:54
Jul 10 17:22
Jul 10 16:31
Jul 10 13:03
Jul 09 19:19
Jul 09 19:10
- 1For Electric-Vehicle Maker Nio, Government Tie-Up Has Its Benefits
- 2Tencent’s PUBG Mobile Game Hits $3 Billion Milestone
- 3Zoom Investment Grew From Li Ka-shing’s Disgust at Pricey Video Gear, Says His Tech-Savvy Companion
- 4In Depth: CATL Loses Electric-Car Battery Crown as Foreign Firms Muscle In
- 5Trending in China: Outrage Ensues as Updated U.S. Student Visa Policies Force International Students into a Dilemma
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas