Opinion: Yi’s the Man
On Monday, the State Council ended the long-running guessing game about who would become the next governor of the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) when it named Yi Gang to the position.
Yi’s appointment is noteworthy in a number of ways.
PBOC’s first ‘sea turtle’ chief
All of Yi’s predecessors spent their entire academic careers in China. Zhou Xiaochuan graduated from the Beijing Institute of Chemical Technology, and later from Tsinghua University. Zhu Rongji is also a Tsinghua alumnus. Dai Xianglong graduated from the Central Institute of Finance and Economics.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas