After Outcry, Weibo Does U-Turn on Gay Content Ban
Twitter-like Chinese microblogging platform Sina Weibo on Monday reversed its decision to target gay topics in its latest “content clearance” campaign, after millions protested online and official media outlets endorsed tolerance.
The latest controversy came after Weibo said (link in Chinese) Friday evening that it would for the next three months clear cartoons, games and videos, including those that have gay themes or are violent or pornographic, citing “laws and regulations.” The only law specifically mentioned was the Cybersecurity Law.
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas