Xiaomi Joins with CK Hutchison in Overseas Push After IPO Filing
Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Inc. set up a strategic partnership with Hong Kong-based conglomerate CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd., in a bid to expand Xiaomi’s sales network globally.
The companies announced the partnership Thursday after Xiaomi filed an initial public offering prospectus in Hong Kong. The planned IPO is expected to be one of the biggest ever for a technology company in Hong Kong, likely to raise billions of dollars.
The partnership with CK Hutchison, a retail-to-telecom conglomerate backed by Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing, will bring Xiaomi products to CK Hutchison’s worldwide telecom and retail divisions, helping the smartphone maker to expand its sales network globally, especially in Europe.
CK Hutchison operates 17,700 retail outlets across the globe, serving nearly 300 million retail and telecom customers. In 2017, 47% of CK Hutchison’s revenue came from Europe, according to the company’s financial report.
Under the agreement, CK Hutchison will first launch Xiaomi products at its stores in European countries including Austria, Denmark, Ireland and Italy.
Xiaomi’s global expansion has taken it into 74 countries and regions so far, according to its IPO prospectus. India is currently Xiaomi’s largest overseas market, accounting for more than 26% of the country’s smartphone market.
In 2017, Xiaomi’s revenue from overseas markets reached 32 billion yuan, or 28% of its total revenue.
Contact reporter Han Wei (email@example.com)
- 1Energy Insider: China’s New-Energy Vehicle Industry Booms
- 2In Depth: Fixing the High Cost of Rare Disease Treatment in China
- 3CX Daily: Delivery Times Likely To Stretch After Beijing Warns Omicron Could Have Traveled In Mail
- 4South China Omicron Cluster Grows as Travel Bans Imposed
- 5CX Daily: China’s 2021 GDP Grows 8.1% on Low Base
- 1Power To The People: Pintec Serves A Booming Consumer Class
- 2Largest hotel group in Europe accepts UnionPay
- 3UnionPay mobile QuickPass debuts in Hong Kong
- 4UnionPay International launches premium catering privilege U Dining Collection
- 5UnionPay International’s U Plan has covered over 1600 stores overseas